Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Quilting: It's A Process

This week I worked on two quilts.  I was hoping to get the Quilt for Eric finished so I could show and tell, however, the quilting part took a little longer than I expected.  It is completely quilted and ready for the binding.  I used my walking foot and straight stitches for this quilt.  There was a lot of stopping and starting, which is time consuming.  I like the stitch my walking foot makes.  I am not confident with free motion.  I guess that means I need more practice...right.



 A couple of years ago I attended a mystery class.  I picked out In The Beginning fabrics by Jason Yenter, which I loved but it turned out that they didn't necessarily work for the mystery.  After I pieced the top, I quickly put it together with a backing and started quilting, using a quick and dirty spiral.  I wanted to just get it done.  I quilted about a quarter of the piece and then put it in my UFO pile.  You know how it is when you spend time on something and you still don't like it.  It just gets tedious and it's easy to move on to something else.  Well, this week, I took that quilt out of the UFO pile and took the quilting out.  I like the fabrics in this quilt.  It's so muddy, you really don't see any pattern at all.  I think with a little quilting, the pattern may emerge.  I am going to attempt making something of this quilt.  I'll keep you posted.




Linking To:
Craftastic Monday Link Anything Goes Monday #73 Sew Cute Tuesday Linky Tuesday Fabric Tuesday WIP Wednesday Let's Bee Social #33 I Quilt Needle and Thread Thursday Link A Finish Friday Can I Get A Whoop Whoop Fabric Frenzy Friday #27 TGIFF Weekend Link Party

19 comments:

  1. love it so pretty love the pattern
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt for Eric, so peaceful! Very cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice quilts Kathi! I like the border around your Jason Yenter quilt. You are right about the pattern getting lost. It is pretty all the same though. I am just about where you are regarding free motion versus straight stitch quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the secret to mysteries is true dark, true medium and true light. I'd like to do this quilt in different fabrics...someday.

      Delete
  4. I love the quilting on that owl quilt. So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty stripe on the first quilt! Great choice. I have some In the Beginning, too. You're right. The quilt pattern doesn't show but quilting might help. Might you use thread colors for emphasis? The borders are wonderful and your piping is fabulous! I plan to try that soon; hope mine goes as well as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Ann. The stripe is from Riley Blake. Thank you for the suggestion of using different thread colors. I will try that. Yours will go well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute baby quilt. I understand how it can be when you find you don't like something, but kuddos for pulling it back out to finish. I think it will look great when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shauna...We will see about that muddy quilt;-)

      Delete
  8. Very interesting quilts! I would suggest different thread colours too to make the pattern in the second quilt come out more! Good luck and fun!!!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Esther...I think the colored thread plan is the one I am going with...but what colors to choose....

      Delete
  9. Your quilt for Eric is super sweet and the quilting really enhances the design. Well worth all that stopping and starting! Can't wait to see your mystery quilt all quilted up, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorna! That mystery is sitting on my cutting table. I'm waiting for quilting inspiration to hit but no luck yet.

      Delete
  10. Love the scalloped border on the second quilt. Both quilts re beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your straight line quilting looks really nice. Best of luck with the Yenter quilt. It's great that you are giving it another go.

    ReplyDelete